Cloud-based application design has revolutionized how people everywhere access and interact with technology, and there’s no question that cloud tools and solutions are here to stay. In fact, the IDG 2020 Cloud Computing Study found that 81% of organizations have at least one application or a portion of their computing infrastructure in the cloud, which is up from 73% in 2018.
A cloud-based platform can minimize both the time and cost of maintaining and updating software, while also enabling it to be flexible and scalable. This design allows the platform to adapt to changing demands for functionality, security, and throughput. Cloud-based design can benefit you in many ways:
- Continuous Deployment: Software updates can require additional staff hours and even the need to take user interfaces offline for installation and verification. With a cloud-based platform, software updates can be made on a continuous basis without interference of component functionality. This means you always have the most up-to-date version of software, including new features and the latest security patches. Your information is always protected against the latest threats, and your staff is always able to use the latest tools.
- Flexibility and Scalability: Cloud-based platforms are engineered to leverage modular technologies. Modular design subdivides a system into smaller parts called modules, which can be created, modified, exchanged or replaced independently. This design allows new functionality and improvements without interrupting the rest of the system and allows new functionality to be incorporated faster and more efficiently than ever before.
- Distribution and Replication: With high-speed Internet, in the time that it takes to click a button or tap a screen, we can access information from anywhere in the world. This speed is possible because information is replicated throughout the world, placing it closer to each user. Having each data element closer to the person accessing it increases each person’s efficiency, allowing them to get more done in a shorter period. Moreover, a distributed and replicated design allows for greater stability, protecting against hardware failure, power outages, and volume spikes.
Cloud-Hosted Solutions Are the Future
Our new loan application processing and servicing platform — Nelnet VelocityTM — is microservices architected, as well as cloud-based, composed of several web services that, together, create a virtual software environment. Nelnet Velocity operates within an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), which means no software installation is required on the client’s behalf. End users can access it via any Internet-connected device with a browser.
Because Nelnet Velocity is cloud-based:
- Our infrastructure operates across multiple Amazon Web Services (AWS) availability zones.
- We run multiple instances of every microservice to help load-balance and autoscale as needed to meet demand.
- If any individual instance goes down or becomes unresponsive, our microservices will connect to a different server to continue sending and receiving messages.
- No patching or installation is required by our clients. When we release a major update, we will follow a defined communication process, and will release a user acceptance testing environment for clients to assess integration change needs, training needs, communication needs, etc. Following our testing processes, we will provide clear communication to clients about when the change will go into effect.
Request a Demo Today
Nelnet knows your business is unique, and you deserve a loan application processing and servicing platform built to handle your programs. Contact an expert today to request a demo and see how Nelnet Velocity can be built to handle the intricacies of your programs.