In March we pay tribute to those trailblazers who fought for equal rights for all and who paved the way for many today. We celebrate the achievements of women – past and present.
With their grace, strength, and brilliance, pioneering women like Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Malala Yousafzai, and Greta Thunberg, to name a few, have left extraordinary marks on the timelines of the world.
This month is also a time to learn more about women’s history, their contributions and impact on our society and the world. While the women above are amazing examples, there are many other torchbearers, including lead scientists, astronauts, corporate presidents, Supreme Court justices, and even a vice president.
To make the most of this month, here are a few suggestions on ways to celebrate Women’s History Month:
- Relax and enjoy movies directed by women and/or feature female leads.
- Read a few books written by female authors.
- Write a thank-you note to a woman who inspires you.
- Get involved with and/or support a women’s nonprofit, such as donating your time or giving to organizations that support women and girls, such as:
- Support women-owned businesses or organizations.
We also want to share what some women at Nelnet had to say about their female mentors here:
Katt Reed and Terri Nihil.
- “Everything I have told her (Terri) that I want to do, she’s allowed me to pursue with as much creativity as I want. I’m thankful not just for women like Terri, but that women like Terri are in leadership positions and can offer mentorship to people like me!”
Jessica Schumacher and Mary Woodruff.
- “Mary and I had a mentor-mentee relationship that stemmed from her internship at Nelnet and developed into a forever friendship. We cheer for, coach, and inspire each other, laugh together, and pick each other up when we are down. She is a role model to me and someone I will aspire to always make proud!”
Happy Women’s History Month and thank you to all women for all that you do.