At Nelnet, we’re dedicated to living out our core values. You can see it in the excellent service we provide our customers. It’s in the way we strive to create an awesome work environment for our associates. It runs through everything we do to give back to the communities that we call home. And now more than ever, Nelnet is showing just what it means to put our core values to work.
As always, the health and safety of Nelnet associates is our top priority. We are embracing our civic responsibility to do what we can to reduce the spread of COVID-19, and continue supporting the people-driven corporate culture we’re known for.
How Nelnet Supports Associates
Working from Home
As a first step to protect associates’ wellbeing, Nelnet made it possible for nearly all 6,500 associates to work from the safety of their own homes in just a matter of days. Our IT team stepped up to provide expanded virtual network access, additional monitors, and increased internet capabilities to address the shift.
Nelnet associates received extra funds to ensure everyone has the internet access they need to continue working from home successfully. Additionally, ALLO, the fiber-internet company owned by Nelnet, is offering free internet for 60 days to new customers in the communities it serves. They are also waiving late fees to assist others who may need help staying connected while practicing social distancing.
We understand the COVID-19 pandemic presents a range of challenges and stressors in our personal and professional lives. As a company, we’re taking steps to protect all aspects of our associates’ wellbeing.
- Nelnet’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provider, ComPsych, designed a series of webinars to offer guidance and best practices to help navigate these unique situations.
- Our wellness and communication teams are providing tips on how to keep strong and active while practicing social distancing.
- Nelnet Benefits launched a mobile directory featuring details of all Nelnet benefits and wellness perks. Associates can now access their benefit information from the palm of their hand whenever it’s convenient.
True to form, associates are also meeting the challenge in creative ways.
- Nine teams representing Nelnet in Lincoln are working to raise $10,000 as part of the Lincoln Virtual Heart & Stroke Walk happening May 30.
- Teams all across the organization are scheduling virtual meet-ups. From virtual yoga to coffee chats and happy hours, coworkers and friends are staying connected despite the distance.
- Our interns are coming up with ideas to make participating in online classes a little easier. They’re also taking advantage of social media to host Instagram takeovers and make new classes of Nelnet interns feel welcome.
Throughout this transition to the “new normal,” Nelnet leaders have been present and accessible.
- During a weekly podcast, Nelnet executives communicate open and honestly about industry news and business updates on the ever-changing COVID-19 situation.
- Nelnet leaders have also hosted live Q&A sessions to give associates a chance to get their questions answered by experts in real time.
- A Pulse survey asking for associate feedback on the COVID-19 response is underway to measure the progress Nelnet’s action plans are making and how they can be improved.
Even with the recent COVID-19 challenges, Nelnet supports associates and #LifeAtNelnet is stronger than ever. Want to join the team? We’re still hiring! Check out our available opportunities.